VLC 2.1.1 Crashes

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
seekermeister
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 2.1.1 Crashes

Postby seekermeister » 23 Nov 2013 12:08

Since upgrading to this version, I'm having a problem with random crashes while playing encoded video files of various extensions. No explicable causes outside of VLC and is not predictable, except that when it does crash, the video freezes while the audio continues in a loop. Closing the program doesn't stop the audio loop until a significant amount of time has passed. I have a hunch that there is nothing I can do to fix this, but unless someone has a suggestion, I will anxiously be awaiting the next release.

EDIT: Not that I think it matters, but the OS is Windows 7 x64 Pro.

MargeauxB
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.1.1 Crashes

Postby MargeauxB » 24 Nov 2013 13:36

I'm having a similar issue as mentioned here, but in reverse.

While watching various types of video files, the audio disappears somewhere in the middle and doesn't start up again, unless I start to watch the file from the very beginning again.

I can't move forward or backward within a single video file, because the audio dies completely. I have video running, but no audio.

There was no issue prior to upgrading to the new version (version 2.1.1 Rincewind) this morning, 24 November 2013, but since then, 1 out of every 2 files viewed does that.

Please look into what the matter is here and fix it ASAP.

TIA

Bushwhacker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bushwhacker » 25 Nov 2013 16:06

RE: First Post - Seekermeister
I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!

It's only since Rincewind 2.1.1 update. Already tried "Fix Lag & Stutter in VLC Player (2013 Update) for 1080p/720p HD,"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZowX5kPRMc , by changing the Hardware Decoding box to 'Automatic' and 'DirectX Video'. No good.
"Skip the loop" filter / 'all' didn't work either.

Bushwhacker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bushwhacker » 25 Nov 2013 18:07

The "solution" I found was to uninstall 2.1.1 (via Windows Uninstall) and install 2.0.8/Twoflower, than Preferences [or CTRL+P] --> Show Settings --> tick ALL [left pane, bottom] --> Input / Codecs --> Video Codecs --> FFmpeg --> Click Hardware Decoding box than just save & close. Total time uninstalling/re-installing: about 4 minutes.
Note: that procedure didn't work in 2.1.1. but worked on my previous versions prior to 2.1.1 with ALL videos that had the video stutter-freeze/audio loop/crash issue.
All the best!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”