Build win32 cygwin cannot find libavcodec for 0.9.0

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
hce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Build win32 cygwin cannot find libavcodec for 0.9.0

Postby hce » 20 Aug 2008 08:10

Here is a VLC config that I'm using with yesterday NB and the august 08 contribs. It works fine.

PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH \
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/win32/lib/pkgconfig \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" \
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib \
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \
./configure \
--host=i686-pc-mingw32 \
--enable-nls --enable-sdl --with-sdl-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--enable-faad \
--with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--enable-live555 --with-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.com \
--with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--disable-cddax --disable-vcdx \
--enable-debug --enable-dca \
--disable-mkv --disable-taglib
Thanks for the configuration script, I compiled the vlc using above configuration. The vlc was installed in /usr/local directory, but "vlc --list" was sitll showing nothing, even "vlc --help" was showing empty as well. I was compiling the vlc on Cygwin on Vista, would the Vista be a problem? Another thing was, it took more then 3 house everytime to run ./configure, make and make install on an Intel Core Due processors, really long time. Is there anything I can do to trace down the problems?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Aug 2008 17:49

Compile works with Vista, and yes, compile takes a long time with Cygwin. Remember to use -j2 or similar switch with make to make building faster. I usually run VLC directly from c:\VLC\vlc\vlc-0.9.0 using Windows Explorer. Cygwin shell is sometimes very picky about file usage rights so I you haven't tried normal Windows command prompt, try it.

hce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hce » 21 Aug 2008 02:10

Compile works with Vista, and yes, compile takes a long time with Cygwin. Remember to use -j2 or similar switch with make to make building faster. I usually run VLC directly from c:\VLC\vlc\vlc-0.9.0 using Windows Explorer. Cygwin shell is sometimes very picky about file usage rights so I you haven't tried normal Windows command prompt, try it.
I tried to run VLC from Windows Explorer, it displayed the VLC icon, but nothing coming. I also tried to run the VLC from the Window's command line:

> vlc --list

It pops up a Cygwin terminal with following lines:

Dumped content to vlc-help.txt file.

Press the RETURN key to continue...

In the vlc-help,txt:

^[[32;1m main ^[[0;1mmain program
^[[0m

My vlc.txt size is about 510127, is it normal? I suspect there are problems with the MinGW. I guess that the MinGW is included in the contrib, I don't need to install the MinGW on my Vista, right? Why we need to compile VLC with MinGW while the Cygwin has the GCC? Can anyone send me your built vlc.exe to my email jupiter.hce@gmail.com please, to let me varify if my Vista can run the vlc.exe or not?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Aug 2008 17:09

My vlc.txt size is about 510127
you mean vlc.exe? With nightlies its size should be at near 92,0 KB

Cygwin compiled executables require cygwin dll and nobody wants that on native Win environment. You can get latest builds from nightlies.
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

hce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hce » 22 Aug 2008 00:34

My vlc.txt size is about 510127
you mean vlc.exe? With nightlies its size should be at near 92,0 KB

Cygwin compiled executables require cygwin dll and nobody wants that on native Win environment. You can get latest builds from nightlies.
http://nightlies.videolan.org/
Thanks for your link. I found the problem. In nighties build, there is a plugins directory which contains all dll files. In my VLC build, there is no such plugins directory. if I copy the plugins directory from the nighties build to my installation bin directory where the vlc.exe is in, my vlc.exe is able to play. I've searched my VLC build, but could not find a plugins directory which contains all dll files. What could be wrong in my build where the whole dll plugins directory is missing?

In fact, I found all dll files that the plugins contains are in my installation directory, ../Install/lib/vlc/access, ../Install/lib/vlc/mux dtc. Seems that the vlc.exe could not find those dll files. Does the vlc-config need to be changed to link plugins dll files in ../Install/lib/vlc? If so, could you please give an example on how to change the vlc-config, or how to fix thhis problem?

Thank you.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Aug 2008 19:28

make package-win32-base should copy all the stuff to right place, so you will have plugins folder under vlc-0.9.0 directory.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”