Updating VLC codecs on 0.8.6d

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
loulou
New Cone
New Cone

Updating VLC codecs on 0.8.6d

Postby loulou » 21 Feb 2008 01:00

Hi,

I'm experiencing troubles in reading some HD mkv (h264 mostly) videos (either awful quality, either VLC crashing at launch) _with VLC_. I use VLC to stream the video which is read (Free's Freeplayer). My guess is that I can improve this situation with up-to-date codecs (typically because I already tried hard to play with the VLC command line options...) . Before going into the trouble of compiling the sources on windows of the current VLC version, I'd like to ask some questions:
- is it possible to use directly the plugin libraries for codecs from the snapshots of 0.9.0 into 0.8.6d? Is it meaningful at least (that is, there are improvements of these libraries in 0.9)?
- is the command line options of 0.9 backward compatible with 0.8.6?
- is there a way to compile VLC / VLC libraries to get the most of a given processor (in my case, Athlon X2 hence mmx/sse2/3dnowext support)?
- I've a h264/avc hardware decoder embedded in my graphic card (classical ATI radeon HD3450), but activating hardware overlay doesn't seem to improve anything on h264 decoding. Similarly, the card is supposed to offer hardware accelerator for divx/mp1/mp2 decoding, but no perf improvement. Is there something to do (possibly by means of compilation options) to use this processing unit for the decoding of videos? in 0.8.6? in 0.9?
- finally, in general, do you have any tricks to improve HD video decoding speed/quality/support? (I tested all of the ones I could find on the forum and wiki, nothing really improved my problem)

I also have a comment: for an unknown reason, decoding of mkv works on more files once I've installed the matroska pack. I assume only the splitter part is involved in this improvement, but anyway, do you have any hint why installing something influence video decoding support in VLC???

FYI, I run VLC 0.8.6d on a Win 2003 server, tested with no codec installed/ATI avivo codecs installed/avivo+matroska installed (current conf).

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Updating VLC codecs on 0.8.6d

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Feb 2008 08:48

- No. Yes, it is.
- Yes, mostly
- Yes, but it is usually by default
- No. No and no. Ask ATI to open source their API
- yes, read this forum and read the good thread and use the latest NB.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”