Some help needed cross-compiling latest VLC

*nix specific usage questions
jh16384
New Cone
New Cone

Some help needed cross-compiling latest VLC

Postby jh16384 » 24 Nov 2011 10:01

I've been wanting to submit a patch to expose the controls for changing the subtitle delay (similar to a patch submitted some time ago for changing the audio delay), and the first step is to get a working compile of VLC. However, I keep running into problems. The easiest for me would be to just download a VirtualBox image with a working environment, but as I couldn't find those I'm creating my own.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, with the latest VLC and "contrib-20111017-win32-bin-gcc-4.4.4-runtime-3.17-only.tar.bz2". Here's my step-by-step guide:

Code: Select all

1) Install Ubuntu 10.04 (in a VirtualBox) 2) apt-get install mingw32 mingw32-binutils autoconf git 3) apt-get build-dep vlc 4) tar xjf Downloads/contrib-20111017-win32-bin-gcc-4.4.4-runtime-3.17-only.tar.bz2 -C / 5) git clone http://repo.or.cz/r/vlc.git 6) cd vlc 7) ./bootstrap 8) extras/package/win32/configure.sh --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu --host=i586-pc-mingw32msvc
The configure ends with:

Code: Select all

checking whether the gcc -std=gnu99 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no checking dynamic linker characteristics... Win32 ld.exe checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no checking whether to build shared libraries... no checking whether to build static libraries... yes checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC checking if g++ PIC flag -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC works... yes checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no checking dynamic linker characteristics... Win32 ld.exe checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate checking for i586-pc-mingw32msvc-windres... no checking for windres... no configure: error: VLC is based on plugins. Shared libraries cannot be disabled.
I could not find a (working) option that convinces configure to use shared libraries.

Anybody know how to solve this? Or perhaps anyone that could point me to a working step-by-step compile guide / vm image? :)

--John

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Some help needed cross-compiling latest VLC

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Nov 2011 17:03

Install gcc-mingw32
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”