Video not in interface

*nix specific usage questions
slumbergod
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Video not in interface

Postby slumbergod » 26 Oct 2008 07:12

Please, please, please can whomever operates the c-korn repo please put the 0.9.3 debs in there so we can have a choice of the latest greatest or the 0.9.3 that worked for most of us.

I find I really miss a few of the new features of the 0.9.x series but I won't use it when the video is not integrated. I'd love to help fix it but my programming skills are not at the level where I could be useful.

mr_island
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.9.4
Operating System: Linux

Postby mr_island » 26 Oct 2008 09:31

I really second that opinion! It would be sooo great!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 26 Oct 2008 15:50

Lets make things clear. The integrated video, a.k.a. the embedded video, a.k.a. the Qt4 video window has never worked. Some people claimed it crashed because of a bug within Nokia's Qt library. That bug had been addressed in Qt release 4.3. Hence, the buggy code was let slip into the 0.9.0 release, then 0.9.1 and 0.9.2. Before 0.9.3 was out, it became apparent that the crash problem was still present and had nothing to do with Qt4. Then. embedded video was forcefully disabled :( .

Shortly before the 0.9.5 release, the problems were identified. As of now, we know what the problem is and we know it lies within the VLC Qt4 interface plugin. Until someone fixes it, the embedded video support will remain disabled in all VLC releases :!: .

If you want to shoot yourself in the foot, you can enable by hand. It's a one-liner patch to the source code :idea:. Simply remove the #if and #endif around that piece of code in modules/gui/qt4/qt4.cpp:

Code: Select all

add_submodule(); set_capability( "vout window", 50 ); set_callbacks( WindowOpen, WindowClose );
:arrow: It will might cause VLC to crash. You were warned.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

stegy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stegy » 26 Oct 2008 17:11

I have the same problem when I use it in Ubuntu 8.04 since VLC >0.9.2. Right now it's 0.9.5.
But when I use VLC in Ubuntu 8.10 (Alpha, Beta, RC), it is working fine, I still have the Video in the main window.
The VLC-Version there is 0.9.4. It seems the embedded video isn't disabled in all versions...

But this could be a problem of using an non-official VLC in 8.04, since the 0.9.x is officially only in the 8.10-Repos.
I wish Ubuntu would fix this problem also, because 8.04 is LTS and 8.10 still has a few annoying bugs
(but it works most of the time). ;-)

nathanb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nathanb » 26 Oct 2008 20:06

Rémi, thanks for the clarification.

I know (at least, I'm pretty sure) that it won't crash on my system, simply because an older version (I want to say 0.9.3) worked fine with that option enabled, and it did what it was supposed to do.

Allow me to request more clarification: is this bug actively being worked on? I'd be willing to lend a hand (I'm a professional C programmer; have very little C++ experience and no Qt experience), but if people who actually know what they're doing are already working on it, I'd probably just get in the way.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 26 Oct 2008 20:37

I know (at least, I'm pretty sure) that it won't crash on my system, simply because an older version (I want to say 0.9.3) worked fine with that option enabled, and it did what it was supposed to do.
It's timing-dependent anyway. Some people never saw it. Some people always see it. Some people sometimes see it.
Allow me to request more clarification: is this bug actively being worked on?
The VideoLAN project has no formal management, so I would not know. Then again, I pretty much gave up as I don't know Qt4 well enough, and nobody has taken up the bug (#2136).
I'd be willing to lend a hand (I'm a professional C programmer; have very little C++ experience and no Qt experience), but if people who actually know what they're doing are already working on it, I'd probably just get in the way.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

slumbergod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby slumbergod » 27 Oct 2008 22:58

Hmmm, video was definitely embedden for me in 0.9.2 and 0.9.4.

I think it must have been working for several people, hence the strong desire to return to 0.9.3 amongst users.

I remember reading that Intrepid had 0.9.3 in its repos but when I looked it had moved on to the next version so upgrading distro isn't going to solve it yet either.

I have made contact with C Korn and he is looking into whether he can put 0.9.3 on the repo simultaneously. Fingers crossed!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 28 Oct 2008 18:18

Hmmm, video was definitely embedden for me in 0.9.2 and 0.9.4.
AFAIK, Ubuntu patched 0.9.4 to use the broken embedded video support.
I think it must have been working for several people, hence the strong desire to return to 0.9.3 amongst users.
And what do you do about those users which cannot use VLC due to that bug?
I have made contact with C Korn and he is looking into whether he can put 0.9.3 on the repo simultaneously. Fingers crossed!
This makes no sense at all. 0.9.3 has plenty of other bugs including some security issues. If you want the crashy embedded video, do yourself a favor and use VLC 0.9.5 with the one line patch above.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

nathanb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nathanb » 29 Oct 2008 00:15

This makes no sense at all. 0.9.3 has plenty of other bugs including some security issues. If you want the crashy embedded video, do yourself a favor and use VLC 0.9.5 with the one line patch above.
Look at it from the average user's perspective. The average user installed VLC from an online package repository. He doesn't even have the source code! The average user is not familiar with svn[1], not familiar with c++, and just wants to install something that works. Security patches? Bah. All I see is that it looks and behaves the way I want in 0.9.3 and doesn't in 0.9.5.

[1] Or cvs or whatever version control system you use.

jdarias
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jdarias » 29 Oct 2008 15:12

It would be great to ask c-korn to patch 0.9.5 and make it available in the repo, alongside the already available unembedded video version.
AFAIK the problen is with Qt versions =<4.3. Dunno other distros, but ubuntu 8.04 users get Qt 4.4 when installing vlc, so this bug might not be affecting our systems...

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 29 Oct 2008 18:20

Can't you read? this bug has nothing to do with Qt4 versions. It affects all platforms and all Qt4 versions.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

jgg
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby jgg » 30 Oct 2008 09:11

Maybe a silly question but... why the change to Qt in 0.9.x VLC releases? Can VLC 0.9.x be compiled with wxWidgets enabled instead and make VLC embedded window work properly?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 30 Oct 2008 16:44

The WxWidgets interface is way worse. It's full of deadlocks and crashes all over.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

jgg

Postby jgg » 30 Oct 2008 22:58

But it worked with VLC 0.8.x releases, didn't it?

mc5man
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mc5man » 30 Oct 2008 23:28

I would agree that embedded may have issues but i've had none with it enabled running 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 on ubuntu hardy (8.04

So for those that wish to test I've redone korn's ver. with embedded enabled. (

Please note no promises as to whether issues will arise, if so just remove or allow vlc to be upgraded to korn's release (seen as an upgrade even though same ver.
Also note I'm not uploading any of the needed dependencies or plug ins so you should have the korn ppa for hardy enabled as a software source (any missing dep's will be auto installed.

Also note this .deb is only good for install while the korn ppa is on same version - 0.9.5+x264snapshot20080928+faad2.6.1-1~ppa1

For 0.9.5 with embedded enabled

<removed link > due to korn ppa moving back to 0.9.3 ( which I don't get, embedded is just as potentially an issue in 0.9.3 as 0.9.5

For add. info and patch info ect.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost6035102

edit: also note that in all likelihood you'll have an unsuitable default launch command 'vlc %U'. Go to edit menus -> sound & video -> properties of vlc and change to vlc %f (space between vlc and %f
Also it doesn't hurt after changing versions of 0.9.x to go to home dir. -> .config and delete the vlc folder before first use of new version
Last edited by mc5man on 02 Nov 2008 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

kubunu_user
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kubunu_user » 31 Oct 2008 07:22

I can conform that VLC 0.9.5 works correctly with the patch in kubuntu 8.04.1

The Video is now corretly displayed inside the interface, no crashes so far, tried to play .mpg .avi files all without problems.

Btw. what does this line mean ?
[00000568] inhibit interface error: Failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

ivoire
VLC version: trunk
Operating System: linux (debian sid)

Postby ivoire » 31 Oct 2008 22:31

But it worked with VLC 0.8.x releases, didn't it?
It worked not really well with a lot of hack and workaround. So Qt4 is way better.

ivoire

Postby ivoire » 31 Oct 2008 22:35

I can conform that VLC 0.9.5 works correctly with the patch in kubuntu 8.04.1
The bug we are talking a bout is a race condition. It means that it can work well on some computer and not at all on some other computers. And that's not because it's working for you at the moment, that you won't have any crash.
[00000568] inhibit interface error: Failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
This message means vlc can't communicate with your DBus daamon.

kubunu_user
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kubunu_user » 01 Nov 2008 06:15

The bug we are talking a bout is a race condition. It means that it can work well on some computer and not at all on some other computers. And that's not because it's working for you at the moment, that you won't have any crash..
Well it seems there are some problems with interlace function when the window is in the interface, whenever i enable interlace vlc crashes in 2 of 3 times.

When the output is going in the x11 window , vlc will not crash and the interlace works as expected.

But something is wrong then with the display rate, the window is smaller as before , but this seems to be a other failure that has nothing to do now with this problem.
This message means vlc can't communicate with your DBus daamon.
For what it will be needed to connect to the DBus daemon , and why it can't connect to it ?

ivoire

Postby ivoire » 04 Nov 2008 14:04

For what it will be needed to connect to the DBus daemon
Mainly to desactivate the hibernation during play of a video. And to send notification if you want to make vlc communicate with over applications.
why it can't connect to it
I can't know without any investigation.
Running vlc in verbose mode (with -vvv as option on the command line) might help.

javilete
New Cone
New Cone

Postby javilete » 08 Dec 2008 19:43

Hi! any news about this bug?
I found this in Qt bug tracker: http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tra ... &id=139455
This fix was tagged to Qt4.2.1. Anybody has any problems with 4.4.3 libs?

Md proposed to reenable embedded again and eventually disable it only when HAS_QT43 is *not* set:
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2136#comment:2

Note: Qt4.5 is closer. If is not fixed yet it would be good report it in qt's bug tracker, before to become out.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 08 Dec 2008 19:46

AGAIN: This is not a QT4 bug. This is a VLC bug. And it's definitely not fixed.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

javilete
New Cone
New Cone

Postby javilete » 08 Dec 2008 20:03

AGAIN: This is not a QT4 bug. This is a VLC bug. And it's definitely not fixed.
Thanks Rémi, I hope this will soon fixed, is annoying play videos in X11 output window.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 08 Dec 2008 20:13

For all I know, I gave up on trying to fix it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

shirish
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.0-rc2 Weatherwax

Postby shirish » 04 Jan 2009 21:09

Hi Remi,
Does this mean that we would never have a release which would work with embedded, atleast in the short-run?
--
Shirish Agarwal
This post is licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
VLC player 2.2.rc2-Weathermax, Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), Debian Jessie
GNUPG 065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”