Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Starting vlc-0.9.0 as root

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Aug 2008 19:50

Exactly, this is good.

However, to be sure only people who understand that what they do do it, and not clueless users, this will not be pushed in the main repo.

So compile it if you want it like that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

asergiu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby asergiu » 19 Sep 2008 18:43

I am not too much into it but here are my thoughts:

We all respect and like the work you are doing guys. VLC is just a great video player.
However do not forget that for a software to be successful it needs its client aproval - which is us - the vast mojority of people - some of us being involved directly into computers and software developement, security, etc (like I believe I am) - and others just simple computer users.

Altough is a good starting ideea to limit regular clients from from running vlc as root - think that there are many that might need this feature. Think to the many pocket size linux distributions, embedded systems that simply don't have other logins pre-configured. Simply trowing the blame on a distro - I think is merely infatuation.

We see limitations and control in all aspects of our lives lately: they don't let me carry water during a flight, they don't let you speed in many contries even on roads that are made for that, I have to take out shoes when embarking for a flight during security checks , etc. We have cameras pointed to us even in toilets.

Do you think this helps us live better and safer ? If you do that only means you have swalloed the stupid political waves imposed by the great powers of this world. In this case I feel pitty for you

2) YES would like to have vlc running as root - because this is a feature I need in an embedded system. But in your place instead of just stopping vlc in the very first lines of code I would add a command line argument (i.e. ---force-start-root or something) that would still allow me to launch as root if I need too. Don't just stop me brutally because you THINK your think better than others or that you have the alltime panaceea.

I would say more but I think you got the ideea - wee need to be able to start VLC as root if we really WANTED to. Don't THINK and take decisions for 3 billions people !

Adrian

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Sep 2008 20:09

Yes, use vlc-wrapper then.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 19 Sep 2008 21:18

If you run it on an embedded system, you're most probably compiling it yourself. You can comment the if (getuid () == 0){ } stuff in bin/vlc.c and it'll run alright.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Edit: I've just added a compile time option to VLC to disable the root checking stuff. Use --enable-run-as-root in your configure options. This will be available in all 0.9.3 or later releases.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

asergiu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby asergiu » 20 Sep 2008 00:37

Ok thx - that was fast and I must admit is an acceptable solution.

I didn't not mean to be very harsh in my message - just wanted to point out what I considered a problem. I did that as the discussion was beginning to develop around the subject in a quite intensive tones. (ou pour les connaisseurs le debat devenait assez aggressive).

Thx again
Adrian

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 20 Sep 2008 15:51

I risked my life adding the option :) Now you guys owe me big time :D
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

mia1dolfan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mia1dolfan » 03 Nov 2008 17:01

I logged a bug with Ubuntu at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/293154 to see if they will compile with --enable-run-as-root by default. Their should be a run-time option to allow as run as root. That would protect noobies from the disastrous universal wide calamities that would surely occur otherwise, and not hinder more experienced users.

In the meantime this did the trick...

Code: Select all

apt-get purge vlc apt-get autoremove
I'll use xine and mplayer instead and not provide it as a option for end users on OSX and Windows (for the security dangers of running with administrative priviledges of course!). A shame really, a good program otherwise.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Nov 2008 20:41

No, a distribution shouldn't add that option. If we strongly discourage this options it is because there are good reasons.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 04 Nov 2008 17:09

The distro can add that option if it's going to do the security work that it involves, and which we will not do.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

mia1dolfan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mia1dolfan » 05 Nov 2008 15:49

Since VLC is cross platform, should you also restrict accounts with administrative access on Windows platform as well? Or is that not a security issue on other platforms? Should I submit a patch to prevent that?

ivoire
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: trunk
Operating System: linux (debian sid)

Postby ivoire » 05 Nov 2008 17:59

Sounds difficult on windows as using different profile isn't really easy, maybe better on VIsta ?
Whereas on linux that's natural to run as normal user.
Maybe for vista we can draw a message...

ARD
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ARD » 08 Nov 2008 07:39

removing the "option" is down right MS. I ran into this problem tonight after updating my little box in the den that is used for movies / tv. I am not going on a rant etc... I ended up installing MPlayer.

*goes and check if his toaster is running as root.

i_magic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby i_magic » 12 Nov 2008 20:56

Just did an update on 2 of my gentoo boxes and... that's right... vlc won't run anymore... and yep.... I use root logon... :)

I've been using root logon since I can remember myself [as a linux guy]. I honestly tried several times switching to another logon, but getting fed up with having to type in root password every time I need to change something, i went back to root. gentoo by its nature is a distro which you get to tweak things to your liking, which is why I chose it. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I appreciate you adding --enable-run-as-root option, but if I may suggest, this option should be changed to --disable-run-as-root and should be off by default :D

My 2 cents on subject of security:
It should be done on a distro level as a centralized approach and not on each individual application level. I guess Ubuntu would be a good example, where they do everything possible to make it unnecessary for people to log in as root and you have to sudo every time you wanna do something destructive :twisted:
Similarly, enterprise level OSes (RHEL, SEL, CentOS, et al) use things like SELinux :shock: or such.
As for rest of us mortals, we should just be left to our own devices with self-destruct button engaged :wink:

I bet my life that prolly 90% of computers infected by botnets run Windoze and not linux. So it would make more sense to disallow running vlc on Administrator accounts on 'doze. [ /me thinks, aw man, I can imagine havoc this will cause... ]

But then again, that's just my 2 cents.

All in all, I think vlc is awesome. I tried a host of other players and I think vlc is the best. I was very happy to see 0.9.6 show up in gentoo portage, as it has support for Dirac codec. Thanks guys and keep up the good work! 8)

TJ

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Nov 2008 01:27

Well, since more and more Windows users are switching to easy distributions (who said Ubuntu) and have no clue what that can mean, I am afraid it is a no.

I am bored of repeating myself here...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 13 Nov 2008 17:22

The root option is meant for embedded users, where rebuilding the package is not an issue. And even there it's arguable. Afterall, it's always a matter of doing your work properly so you don't need root, such as grant the user access to the relevant device files, and of course not storing the media files in a root only directory.

We will not allow root by default. It is irresponsible and counter-productive. Full point.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”