HOW TO Start VLC After Installing It - Slackware Version

*nix specific usage questions
ione2bagoottoo
New Cone
New Cone

HOW TO Start VLC After Installing It - Slackware Version

Postby ione2bagoottoo » 05 Jan 2009 01:10

I have just downloaded and installed VLC for the Slackware 12.1 package. It was really easy to download first the vlc.SlackBuild script, it worked fine. At the end, it informed me that the package was successfully installed. Now, how do I get to start and run VLC? I expected to find it within the Multimedia group in KDE, but could not see it. Or is it invoked from the command line?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: HOW TO Start VLC After Installing It - Slackware Version

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jan 2009 09:55

'vlc' in command line?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

alienbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Linux

Postby alienbob » 05 Jan 2009 13:53

Hi

Can you tell me where you got the SlackBuild script?
Usually, a Slackware SlackBuild script only compiles the code and creates the package, but does not install the package.
Perhaps you still need to "installpkg /tmp-vlc-0.*.tgz" ?

If installed, VLC should show up with an icon in MultiMedia.
Eric
--

Eric Hameleers (alienBOB)

ione2bagoottoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ione2bagoottoo » 06 Jan 2009 00:46

I've got this script at the following url:

http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... 0.9.8a/src

There you should see vlc.SlackBuild and you can "save link as..." in your favorite directory. Curiously, it copies with no "x"ecutable rights for the owner, so you have to "chmod" it to run it.

At this moment, i don't remember exactly whether it told me it "installed" or "created" it successfully, but i do remember it did something successfully.

But you can inspect the source of the SlackBuild and there you can see whether it really installs it. At this moment I think it does, as it finally ends up removing the /tmp. So, that is why I came up with the question. But anyway, i'll try your suggestion.

Thanks!!!

Regards.

alienbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alienbob » 06 Jan 2009 00:59

As you can see when you read what the SlackBuild script does, the vlc and vlc-mozplugin packages are created (by the makepkg command) and the new packages are written to the /tmp directory.
No package installation is attempted, it is left to the user to install the packages he creates.

Quite logical that you could not find VLC in the KDE menu... I wonder why you did not just use the binary package they also have available on the slacky.eu site.

Or else use mine (http://slackware.org.uk/3rd-party/alien ... /pkg/12.1/), at least mine does not require you to hunt down missing dependencies.

Eric
--

ione2bagoottoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ione2bagoottoo » 06 Jan 2009 01:35

Hi,

You are right. Looks like i am not as expert as you thought? Well,i am not.
Yes, i ran again the script and it clearly only creates the packages. I did this because it is fun to gain experience seeing running something and that it works!

Ok now i have two options: face other errors I found trying to install the package, or use yours. I should struggle a bit huh?
We'll see how hurried I am playing with this.

Thanks again!

ione2bagoottoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ione2bagoottoo » 07 Jan 2009 16:46

Well, everthing's OK now. I can't run the app with root for obvious reasons the system explains. So I created a new user. It does run now, but it seems there may be some rights this new user doesn't have. I can't do anything within the VLC main window, not even can I open the DVD drive. It just accepts clicks but does nothing.

What else could I be missing with the user?

Thanks in advance.

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 07 Jan 2009 17:01

You might need to add your user to the cdrom group or something like that
Xtophe

alienbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alienbob » 07 Jan 2009 17:08

You might need to add your user to the cdrom group or something like that
Xtophe is spot on (and he's not even a Slackware user :-) ).
Apparently you have never used another account than root before, so I am glad that VLC forced you to create an unprivileged user account! It will be so much safer.

In Slackware, you need to add yourself to a number of groups in order to access your hardware properly. These groups are: plugdev, power, cdrom, audio, video, scanner, floppy.

The easy way to do this is run the following commands as root, assuming your account is called "ione2bagoottoo", and then let your user logout and login again to see the effects.

Code: Select all

gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo plugdev gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo power gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo cdrom gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo audio gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo video gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo scanner gpasswd -a ione2bagoottoo floppy
Good luck, Eric
--

ione2bagoottoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ione2bagoottoo » 13 Jan 2009 02:03

Eric, thanks a lot. I will try this. Actually, I created the account and the system itself suggested me to add the user to several groups, most of which appear in your list. Probably two or three contained here were not at the suggestion. I went on choosing those groups, and then I logged in with the user. Started again vlc within KDE, and it still seems to be unable to do things. I will try these commands and then see what happens.

Regards,

Xavier.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”