Surround Optical out in Lion 10.7 is broken

macOS specific usage questions
imacken
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Surround Optical out in Lion 10.7 is broken

Postby imacken » 12 Jul 2011 21:58

I have the exact same problem. No DD5.1 passthrough to my receiver through VLC.
In fact, using the 1.1.11-git above, the Audio Device option is permanently greyed out!

AMaench
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AMaench » 13 Jul 2011 01:02

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/31 ... 0&tstart=0

This is an OS problem. Not a VLC one.
It is not an OS problem I had 10.6.8 before the GM build and it worked fine in VLC for all audio including DTS and dolby when going out optical.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Jul 2011 14:47

It is not an OS problem I had 10.6.8 before the GM build and it worked fine in VLC for all audio including DTS and dolby when going out optical.
So, it _is_ an OS problem in X.7
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

scordinskyc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scordinskyc » 13 Jul 2011 16:30

Just a note on my experience and the yet-to-be released OS (NDA people). I have a firewire soundcard that breaks out into analog L/R C+LFE+LS/RS (Griffin Firewave). Thus far, everything including 10.6.8 and all versions of VLC have worked just fine. Currently, though, with the new version of the OS, it seems like I almost have a rotation of the channels. Front channels become back and other oddities. Output through native apps (e.g. QT) work fine as does OS level DVD playback. If you wish me to put the debug information up, I'd be happy to do so, but it didn't look suspicious to me. There are no odd kernel messages or anything weird in syslog either.

-Haggador

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 14 Jul 2011 10:39

Is your firewire sound card correctly configured in the "Audio MIDI Setup" utility? You can find it in /Applications/Utilities. If it is, could you share the exact device name please?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

scordinskyc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scordinskyc » 14 Jul 2011 17:49

Yes, the surround is configured correctly via Audio MIDI setup. Double checked. Dumped the VLC preferences and started it again to be sure. It is a Griffin FireWave. As soon as I boot into my 10.6.8 partition, it works just fine (all channels playing correctly) with VLC playing mpeg2ts from a cable box, mkv with a dts track, everything, as do QT7 and QTX. Boot into Lion, QT works correctly, but VLC, even the nightly or your build linked to earlier, fail to play the channels correctly. Weird.

-Haggador

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 15 Jul 2011 15:20

@scordinskyc: would you be able to ask about this issue in the appropriate Apple developer forums, possibly with Felix, to see if you can get an answer from Apple developers - I believe there is one for developers under NDA?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

rodrigopolo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rodrigopolo » 16 Jul 2011 09:12

So, it _is_ an OS problem in X.7
I have the same issue with OS X Lion GM, Digital Optical Audio doesn't work with VLC but it worked with XBMC...

I have an MP4 file with H.264 video, 5.1 AC3 audio...
I use Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers connected trough an "optical mini-toslink to toslink" cable and it works great with XBMC but it doesn't work with VLC

Gave Gast
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gave Gast » 17 Jul 2011 00:35

Hi guys,

I dont know if this is the same problem, but also for me VLC 1.1.11 under Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running on my Mac Mini did not give me DTS or AC3 playback via my optical output, i got only PCM. I went back to VLC 1.1.10.1 and that fixed the problem for me, i verified twice, so maybe you can try this?

Some further information, with VLC 1.1.11 i loose the "Built-in Output (Encoded Output)" option under "Audio Device" in the VLC "Audio" menu.

AMaench
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AMaench » 17 Jul 2011 05:28

Just tried the latest "luggage" build and still broken.

miguy2k
New Cone
New Cone

Postby miguy2k » 17 Jul 2011 21:54

Hi there,

I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, no Lion here, and I have the exact same problem as Gave Gast described. After the VLC 1.1.11 update, VLC plays back PCM and doesn't take over the S/PDIF output to send the encoded bitstream, even if configured to do so. Under Audio > Output Device, there's no more "Built-In Digital Output (Encoded Output)" entry. Note to ppl: You have to have a file playing for the "Output Device" menu to become available...

On VLC 1.1.10.1, the encoded output worked, but once VLC took over the bitstream and stopped playing back, the OS wasn't able to take it back: My Yamaha Decoder was reporting no bitstream at all, neither encoded nor PCM. I always had to put the Mac to sleep and wake it back up for MacOS to output it's PCM stream to the decoder again... VERY annoying. I fear it's a combinatory problem between the APIs VLC uses and the OS not being very good at optical digital audio out...

Best regards,
Mike

sunchase
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sunchase » 18 Jul 2011 08:52

I have exactly the same issues. The problem did occur since I installed OS X 10.7, but I do not have these problems in combination with Plex.

teekay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby teekay » 18 Jul 2011 14:10

I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, no Lion here, and I have the exact same problem as Gave Gast described. After the VLC 1.1.11 update, VLC plays back PCM and doesn't take over the S/PDIF output to send the encoded bitstream, even if configured to do so. Under Audio > Output Device, there's no more "Built-In Digital Output (Encoded Output)" entry. Note to ppl: You have to have a file playing for the "Output Device" menu to become available...

On VLC 1.1.10.1, the encoded output worked, but once VLC took over the bitstream and stopped playing back, the OS wasn't able to take it back: My Yamaha Decoder was reporting no bitstream at all, neither encoded nor PCM. I always had to put the Mac to sleep and wake it back up for MacOS to output it's PCM stream to the decoder again... VERY annoying. I fear it's a combinatory problem between the APIs VLC uses and the OS not being very good at optical digital audio out...
I had the same problem with the latest VLC 1.1.11 update, (Encoded Output) missing. Lucky for me that I kept a backup of the past several VLC releases. I tried rolling back to 1.1.10.1 and the (Encoded Output) is back, decoder detects the output fine now.

Bullzie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bullzie » 21 Jul 2011 02:30

I am having the same issue with Lion (RTM) and 1.1.11. I'm not looking to point fingers as to who is at fault but VLC is what *makes* my MacMini HTPC the gem that it is so I just want to see things fixed. I can get regular output fine but when I switch to Encoded Output I loose all sound and I am not able to switch back to 'regular' output.

Bullzie

cjlhParadox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cjlhParadox » 21 Jul 2011 19:44

Very new to all this, but I dont see how its a lion/os problem. Apple's own dvd player app (idvd i think?) outputs audio, dts for example, from dvds perfectly. I hear too that plex and another media centre style prog mentioned on here that i forget the name of also work to output encoded audio with mkv's and so on.
So i think the problem is not the OS but is with the api used by mplayer and vlc.

I read the problem at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/31 ... 0&tstart=0 and it doesn't sound like what we are experiencing. If you go back to page one on there, the prob is that after playing audio via optical the guys z5500 speakers wont output anything anymore - something i found a simple on/off of the logitechs sorts out but only as a kinda last resort thing. That thread is *mostly" about one app not releasing audio back to be output by other progs/system after its done with it. Our prob here is specifically the failure to output encoded audio. As a btw, how is it that the new vlc release 1.11 does away with the encoded output option completely even on snow leopard? I had to roll back to 1.10.1 to get my audio back to normal again. very odd.

Hope it gets solved :)

kby1337
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kby1337 » 21 Jul 2011 21:51

Not sure if anyone solved this yet but this works for me:

1. Double click the movie you wanna play. It opens in VLC but with no sound.
2. Press stop
3. Press play and it now plays with sound.

Tried it on DTS and AC3 files, seems to be working. Superstrange but easy enough :)

Hope it helps, cheers!

DigitallyCrazy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DigitallyCrazy » 21 Jul 2011 22:10

Same problem, VLC 1.1.11, undid/redid config multiple times in App/Utilities/(Midi app). I'm unsure how to diagnose the exact problem: I don't have a 5.1-channel test file for Quicktime or VLC. I have Bose speakers capable of 5.1 over USB (Bose speakers have internal soundcard), and VLC seems to play the voice channel of AC3 in my left front channel instead of the center channel. Effects seem to play fine, but that just may be a lack of strong surround/stereo. BTW, same problem in Boxee. Fine in XBMC, but that's because it downmixes to stereo in analog, it doesn't seem to support 5.1 at all.

Specs:

MacBook Pro
- 17 inch, early 2009
- 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

OSX Lion (10.7, Build 11A511)

VLC 1.1.11

Bose Speakers
- 5.1 Capable over USB
- Configured in App/Utilities/(Midi app)

MasteRehm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MasteRehm » 21 Jul 2011 23:08

Not sure if anyone solved this yet but this works for me:

1. Double click the movie you wanna play. It opens in VLC but with no sound.
2. Press stop
3. Press play and it now plays with sound.

Tried it on DTS and AC3 files, seems to be working. Superstrange but easy enough :)

Hope it helps, cheers!
If you stop and start, VLC doesn't use the optical out again. It falls back to PCM.

MasteRehm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MasteRehm » 21 Jul 2011 23:17

...had to roll back to 1.10.1 to get my audio back to normal again...
Did you delete the preferences, too? If I use any earlier version of VLC, the problem persists. But I only switched the program itself (overwrite in application folder).

seqiro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby seqiro » 22 Jul 2011 00:55

Yup, same problem here.

With 1.1.11 on Snow Leopard, I lost the option for encoded output for my M-Audio Transit, so I rolled back to 1.1.10.1 which cured it. Now that I have updated to Lion, I cannot get any optical output to work at all.

MasteRehm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MasteRehm » 22 Jul 2011 08:33

Did anyone tried this?
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15594598#15594598

Suposedly works:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15688387#15688387

Ahh, and did anyone check the last nightly build? Maybe the problem is fixed? Felix Paul Kuehne? ;)

leogaravaglia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby leogaravaglia » 24 Jul 2011 18:06

Hi all,
I`ve just tried following the steps above with no successful result. I don´t really know if I mess it up with the "Audio Midi" setup or if it is simply now working, but codified audio on my system is still not working. (Lion).
Looking forward to a solution, let me know if there is any other test we can make.
Regards

chelgrian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chelgrian » 24 Jul 2011 19:44

I think there are multiple different bugs here. Neither VLC nor Mplayer can successfully bitstream AC3 via the the optical output on

MacBook Pro 2,2 / OS X 10.6.8 / VLC 1.1.11
MacBook Pro 8,2 / OS X 10.7.0 / VLC 1.1.11

PCM works on both of them.

However XBMC 10.1 successfully manages to bitstream AC3 under both configurations.

gutozz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gutozz » 25 Jul 2011 03:12

Hey all,

I have the same problem here, though I've noticed something nobody mentioned here yet:
When I start playback of a DD or DTS file on VLC, the selected audio output device (at System Pref. > Audio) automatically changes from the Digital device (in my case DENON-AVAMP) to the integrated internal loudspeakers (in my MBP). This only happens when I have SPDIF output set on VLD preferences. When I don't select SPDIF output, this doesn't happen, though the audio going to my Denon is only 2ch PCM.
This thing happened once in a previous version of VLC and/or Snow Leopard and somehow I found a workaround that I don't really remember. Unfortunately I have the problem back again after I updated both VLC to 1.1.11 and OSX to Lion.

I've already tried without success:
- Downgrade VLC to 1.11.9 (deleting Prefs before)
- Deleting VLC, Audio and MIDI preferences and restarting
- Forcing back the selection of the output to DENON at Audio Pref pane, though things get even more screwed up...

Any suggestions????

rogkm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rogkm » 25 Jul 2011 03:53

OSX Lion
VLC 1.1.11

I used to play DTS files without any problem using Snow Leopard and older VLC. Now I updated everything and whenever i click on AUDIO -> AUDIO DEVICE -> HDMI (ENCODED) I get no sound at all...

Are we getting a fix for it? I love VLC... and I love OSX LION...

Thx.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”