macOS specific usage questions
yeramihi
New Cone
New Cone

auto-detect txt files

Postby yeramihi » 26 Jan 2011 09:13

Subtitles and renderer:
* Do not auto-detect .txt files for subtitles
Is there any option to re-enable this feature? All my subs are in TXT format and it's quite annoying that I need to manually select subs every time...

kubagos
New Cone
New Cone

Re: auto-detect txt files

Postby kubagos » 26 Jan 2011 11:14

I have a different problem in that issue. I cannot add *.txt subtitles.
Is it correct?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 26 Jan 2011 21:30

While this is disabled for the automatic detection and the Video menu's Open Subtitle entry, you can still select these files using the Open dialog ("Advanced Open File").

We had to disable this good reasons and regrettably there is no setting to bring the previous behavior back.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Orlin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Orlin » 28 Jan 2011 01:15

Hello,

May I ask what are those good reasons? I don't like to use outdated versions, but because of this inconvenient way of loading *.txt subtitles, I did downgrade to 1.1.5. Maybe there is (or there will be) at least possibility of re-enabling loading subtitles by drag-and-drop or from Video menu's Open Subtitle entry after selecting to display "All files"?

// I'm using Windows and Linux versions, but since I found this topic I decided to write here.

yeramihi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yeramihi » 28 Jan 2011 10:10

Well... fair enough. What are those reasons if I may ask? I had to rename all my TXT files to SRT in order to use them normally (my wife is not computer literate ans she would not be able to load them manually).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jan 2011 14:52

Hello,

May I ask what are those good reasons? I don't like to use outdated versions, but because of this inconvenient way of loading *.txt subtitles, I did downgrade to 1.1.5. Maybe there is (or there will be) at least possibility of re-enabling loading subtitles by drag-and-drop or from Video menu's Open Subtitle entry after selecting to display "All files"?

// I'm using Windows and Linux versions, but since I found this topic I decided to write here.
Well, the reason is that .txt can be way more than just a subtitle.
You will be able to open manually.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

malyxxl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.x
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby malyxxl » 30 Jan 2011 11:57

I always thought that VLC is the best media player... now I have to downgrade my player and start to looking for new program, because there is no sense to use software if I cant upgrade it...

It was nice to use your program for 3 years. Thanks for playing.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 30 Jan 2011 17:15

We will include a fix in VLC 1.1.7 (to be released tonight), which will allow to select *.txt files through the Video menu ("Open Subtitles..."). The automatic detection will remain disabled for these files though. This fix will be available on all platforms.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

izajasz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby izajasz » 31 Jan 2011 02:57

This is riddiculous. This is not a reason to make such change. i did downgrade to 1.1.5 aswell , this thing made me even do the account here since i thought its a bug but i see its not. I dont know what is that idead to disable TXT support anyway in my cas 1.1.6 version doesnt show txt subittles even if i add them manually. I mean cmon guys WTF? Youj decided to screw the best layer ? This change is a total --please stay polite-- for most ppl.
EDIT: This message was rather impuslive so i didnt think about the best solution. Why u guys cant just add the option "Auto-Detect txt files" which would be just unticked by default so those who use txt subs would jsut turn it on. It would be really the best option.

nordmend
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nordmend » 02 Feb 2011 23:51

I've created account only to inform VideoLan that after 4 years of ucing VLC I've just started looking for some other player.
For me new VLC can't open subtitles.

To do that I need to goto Media->AdvancedOpen, choose video file, and change Subtitle Files to *, then choose subtitles.... that's just like middle ages.

I'll use vlc until I'll find replacement or you will fix that, but I'll try to fix that error on my own (modify scr).

PS I'm using linux, but in mac forum is topic about that, so I'm writing it here.

vogello
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vogello » 03 Feb 2011 00:00

This is that __good reason__? I see you just play in Steve Jobs here. This is not a good way so for now I'll downgrade to 1.1.5. Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Feb 2011 16:43

This is that __good reason__? I see you just play in Steve Jobs here. This is not a good way so for now I'll downgrade to 1.1.5. Thanks.
Not the right way to speak to us...

Now, use your brain.
Imagine you have a .txt file that is the description of the movie, or anything related to the subtitle. Auto Opening will try to open it as a subtitle and fail. Then, it will display an error because it isn't a subtitle...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Feb 2011 16:44

I've created account only to inform VideoLan that after 4 years of ucing VLC I've just started looking for some other player.

To do that I need to goto Media->AdvancedOpen, choose video file, and change Subtitle Files to *, then choose subtitles.... that's just like middle ages.

I'll use vlc until I'll find replacement or you will fix that, but I'll try to fix that error on my own (modify scr).

PS I'm using linux, but in mac forum is topic about that, so I'm writing it here.
No, 1.1.7 don't force you to select "all" at all. This is fixed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

michuneo
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.5
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby michuneo » 03 Feb 2011 17:23

Hey, I'm also a big fan of VLC (for Mac).

I understand your reasons but I think we could find a solution here.

As we all know, it's common that we have both .txt and .avi/.whatever file in one folder. These .txt files often includes various informations, they're not necessarily subtitle files.

On the other hand, there are whole countries (like Poland and it's Napiprojekt win/mac/linux subtitles search plugin) where .sub/.srt/.whatever files are NOT a standard. Believe me, I don't know any person who doesn't use napiprojekt/qnapi these days. And that means whole country has almost only .txt subtitles. I don't have any single movie with .srt or .sub subtitles. Really.

One good thing about napiprojekt is that after searching subtitles it's naming is exactly the same as movie name (movie.avi and movie.txt).

As far as I know various .txt files inside movie folder hardly ever has exactly the same name as movie. It's usually movie.avi and Readme!.txt or something.

Solution would be easy - bring back automatic subtitles for exactly same name (movieeouyeah.avi will load only "movieeouyeah" subtitles with .txt extension) and disable in other cases. At least one country will be extremely grateful for that, and hardly ever someone will have to manually disable subtitles because in his/her case it's not subtitles. Believe me, that would be much easier for majority.

(And of course, I understand your decision, but you know how that works - you give people one simple automatic feature, then they have to do it manually for every movie - even if that's not so hard to do it's simply f****** irritating because you knew you hadn't do it before ;)

For now I can stay with 1.1.5. It has everything I need :)

Take care people!

nordmend
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nordmend » 03 Feb 2011 18:23

No, 1.1.7 don't force you to select "all" at all. This is fixed.
But still, when I open video file from browser there are no subtitles, and going through menus to get them is not user-friendly... so I'll start working on that error fix if vlc team is not going to fix that.

yeramihi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yeramihi » 03 Feb 2011 19:48

Not the right way to speak to us...

Now, use your brain.
Imagine you have a .txt file that is the description of the movie, or anything related to the subtitle. Auto Opening will try to open it as a subtitle and fail. Then, it will display an error because it isn't a subtitle...
Not to be rude or anything but... you might want to use your brain as well. I'm a programmer myself, not the best one, but even I know that you need to capture your errors and analyse them. Also, last time I checked the golden rule of coding was to check your input as it ALWAYS CAN BE SOMETHING ELSE... I see no reason to implement check to be performed on the file before it will be loaded as a subtitle. If check fails then the file would not be loaded. No need for an error message (unless file would be loaded manually, in which case you would have a msg saying that this file is not valid subtitle file).

Also, claiming that this file can be 'way more than just a subtitle' makes me laugh. This can apply to every file I can think of and probably even more! Why oh why you have decided to apply this statement to TXT files only is completely beyond me... following this logic you should have completely remove auto-loading subtitle files with the movie as EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM can be 'way more than just a subtitle'... Not to mention that movie itself can be 'way more then just a movie'...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Feb 2011 19:56

Also, claiming that this file can be 'way more than just a subtitle' makes me laugh. This can apply to every file I can think of and probably even more! Why oh why you have decided to apply this statement to TXT files only is completely beyond me... following this logic you should have completely remove auto-loading subtitle files with the movie as EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM can be 'way more than just a subtitle'... Not to mention that movie itself can be 'way more then just a movie'...
Auto-detection is restricted to the formats that are very likely to be subtitles.
And .txt isn't one of those formats.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

yeramihi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yeramihi » 03 Feb 2011 20:10

Auto-detection is restricted to the formats that are very likely to be subtitles.
Can you explain that to 38 million population in Poland that format they all use for subtitles is not being recognized as likely to be subtitles? I'm sure they'll all love you for that, with me in first place.

Nevertheless - I believe that decision to completely remove TXT from subtitles database was too rushed. You should at least give us an option to choose if we want to have it enabled/disabled. As you can see in this topic - there is negative feedback because of that. If you could at least provide exact reason why this has been implemented and what exact danger it has if you would leave it the way it was before - people might understand. But saying only that it might be way more that subtitle is even worse that completely ignoring us and not answering at all.

nordmend
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nordmend » 03 Feb 2011 21:23

It's relatively simple to fix that bug ... if you are not afraid of compiler:P

so...
01. get vlc Source: http://wiki.videolan.org/GetTheSource
02. modify subtitles.c replace (should be around line 57)

Code: Select all

static const char const sub_exts[][6] = { "idx", "sub", "srt", "ssa", "ass", "smi", "utf", "utf8", "utf-8", "rt", "aqt", "usf", "jss", "cdg", "psb", "mpsub","mpl2", "pjs", "dks", "" };
with

Code: Select all

static const char const sub_exts[][6] = { "idx", "sub", "srt", "ssa", "ass", "smi", "utf", "utf8", "utf-8", "txt", "rt", "aqt", "usf", "jss", "cdg", "psb", "mpsub","mpl2", "pjs", "dks", "" };
03. Compile vlc http://wiki.videolan.org/Compile_VLC

In some free time I'll try to use that http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... ters_Guide to make module that loads txt subtitles... but not this week.

pawel.ad
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Linux

Postby pawel.ad » 03 Feb 2011 23:46

I registered myslefl only to confirm that what @yeramihi says is completly true. All people from Poland who are watching films on their computers are using gnapi (which is a Linux port forNapiProjekt) and NapiProjekt generally. And for almost all of polish people txt=subtitle...

I am maniac of movies and TV shows, and i have a lot of them on my HDD and they all have a .txt file. And I mean ALWAYS. I understand how a .txt file can be something diffrent, but i don't understand how can it be dangerous... And i REALLY don't know how adding an option "Auto detect .txt. files" can be so hard to do...

I really like VLC and i would hate to replace it with... i don't know what. For now i'm using Mplayer, but it'sjust not the same ;-)

And please - listen to people who use your program and only wants it to be better...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Feb 2011 01:12

I registered myslefl only to confirm that what @yeramihi says is completly true. All people from Poland who are watching films on their computers are using gnapi (which is a Linux port forNapiProjekt) and NapiProjekt generally. And for almost all of polish people txt=subtitle...

I am maniac of movies and TV shows, and i have a lot of them on my HDD and they all have a .txt file. And I mean ALWAYS. I understand how a .txt file can be something diffrent, but i don't understand how can it be dangerous... And i REALLY don't know how adding an option "Auto detect .txt. files" can be so hard to do...

I really like VLC and i would hate to replace it with... i don't know what. For now i'm using Mplayer, but it'sjust not the same ;-)

And please - listen to people who use your program and only wants it to be better...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :)
Thanks for this clever post. I'll look at another solution then.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

michuneo
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.5
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby michuneo » 04 Feb 2011 02:41

I'm afraid it is :(

Here you can see an example: http://www.opensubtitles.org/pl/search/ ... format-txt, I see Hungarian, Hebrew, English, Romanian, Spanish,Turkish...

Plus >345.000 downloaded subtitles from Polish napiprojekt _only during last 24h_. Every single one in .txt format. Isn't that _a lot_ in any meaning?

Regards
Mike

Orlin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Orlin » 04 Feb 2011 12:33

We will include a fix in VLC 1.1.7 (to be released tonight), which will allow to select *.txt files through the Video menu ("Open Subtitles...").
OK, I updated to 1.1.7 and now I can select .txt file through Video -> Open Subtitles menu, but no subtitles are displayed. I still have to change extension to .srt or use Advanced Open File. Drag&drop of .txt files also doesn't work. To make sure I tried it all on few different *.avi + *.txt sets. Should I reinstall VLC with cleaning previous settings (I didn't mark it previously) or is it still not fixed?
I agree that there should be option to enable auto-loading of .txt files or/and some kind of a test if there are subtitles in auto-detected .txt files. And I don't agree that .txt format is not very likely to be subtitles.
For a meanwhile my default .avi player is SMPlayer, but I hope I will get back to VLC soon :-)

bart123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bart123 » 05 Feb 2011 02:48

Let me explain what the problem really is.

The problem is you don't know why disabling of loading txt subs could be a problem because you've never seen txt subs.

The reality is propably EVERYONE here who complains about lack of txt subs support is from Poland. We have good subtitles scene in Poland. The problem is since the beginning EVERY subs are published with txt extention (for MicroDVD subs i've NEVER met .SUB extention for Polish subs... NEVER EVER, it's one of the widest spread subs format in Poland, they are also MPL2 and TMPlayer formats in use, also they use *.txt extention ONLY, SubRip (srt) or whatever are not in use. No matter do u use napisy.org (closed now), napisy24.pl, napisy.info, napiprojekt service or some minor websites this rule is always obeyed. For that reason i've never met anyone who saves video info in txt file because everyone puts txt subs along with movies.

That's why it would be nice to see at least an option to load txt VLC automatically.
I say 'please' from every VLC user from Poland.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Feb 2011 23:18

I'm afraid it is :(
No, it is not.
When you see a .srt, you think: "it is a subtitle". Because 99.9% of the time, it will be.
When you see a .txt, you don't think "it is a subtitle", you think, it is a text file. And in some cases it will be a subtitle.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”