tranfering movie (ripped by vlc) to iPhone is not working

macOS specific usage questions
mabrams
New Cone
New Cone

tranfering movie (ripped by vlc) to iPhone is not working

Postby mabrams » 14 Sep 2007 23:35

The movie is playable in quicktime and itunes but when I try to transfer it to my iPhone, I get an error ["MyMovie" was not copied to the iPhone "My iPhone" because it cannot be played on this iPhone.] I'm working on an iBook OS X v. 10.4.10 (PowerPC)

here is the command I used
VLC "dvdread:///dev/rdisk1@1:5" --sout "#transcode{width=640, height=480, vcodec=h264, vb=768, scale=1, acodec=mp4a, ab=96, channels=2, audio-sync}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst=/Users/me/Desktop/MyMovie.mp4}}"

it will play on the iphone if I 'convert selection for ipod' in iTunes, but that seems like a ridiculous extra (long) step.

is there some other parameter I should be using to get this to transfer to an iPhone without the extra conversion step?

tia,

--

Mark

mabrams
New Cone
New Cone

Re: tranfering movie (ripped by vlc) to iPhone is not working

Postby mabrams » 19 Sep 2007 17:51

I figured out a solution

VLC "dvdread:///dev/rdisk1@1:1-" --sout "#transcode{width=320, height=240, canvas-aspect=1.5:1, vcodec=mp4v, vb=768, acodec=mp4a, ab=96, channels=2, audio-sync}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst=/Users/me/Desktop/MyMovie.mp4}}"

First off the video codec had to be mp4v not h264 - which is odd because the iPhone is supposed to support h264. That change enabled me to get the video onto my iPhone. But then I had the problem that the right side of the video was top to botom green and yellow lines. That's where the canvas-aspect parameter came in handy.

other notes: I did get some errors when the process finally completed indicating that vlc couldn't mux an additional stream. I don't know which stream that was. afaict this video is working and plays successfully now in quicktime, iTunes, and on the iPhone, wahooo!

p.s. don't get suckered by the spam ads for magic bullet dvd to iPhone converters like i did. I tried it and there were deal breaker issues in the output video that their 'tech support' couldn't solve.

maxlightz
New Cone
New Cone

Re: tranfering movie (ripped by vlc) to iPhone is not working

Postby maxlightz » 11 Nov 2007 08:32

good work with that ... one thing i'm having a challenge with

when i add the fields
width=320, height=240, canvas-aspect=1.5:1,
VLC won't perform any conversion at all ... i also don't have any checkboxes to specify these settings

if i don't manually tweak any fields and just use those other settings then the conversion works fine
the only challenge there is it's pot luck on what will play or not play on my iPhone

your thoughts?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”