How to disable error messages

macOS specific usage questions
alexharper
New Cone
New Cone

How to disable error messages

Postby alexharper » 27 Jan 2007 19:03

VLC is great! I've been enjoying it as my main video player since switching to mac, however...

I really do not need or want to know about any non-critical error messages, but unfortunately these pop up all the time during playback. I can choose to not receive any more error messages but these settings are not remembered the next time I open VLC. How do I disable these permanently?

Many Thanks,
Alex

alexharper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alexharper » 29 Jan 2007 15:13

*bump

David Igra
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Me too!

Postby David Igra » 29 Jan 2007 16:04

I agree with everything Alex wrote, please add such a function or just remove the whole thing.

Many thanks,
David

P.S. Where's my T-shirt? :?:

DoubleApple
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DoubleApple » 31 Jan 2007 18:00

I also don't need/want to know about non-critical error messages (such as when skipping went too far and an error comes up, forcing me to grab the mouse and click on a button when I'm lying in my bed watching a movie).

Please add a "don't warn me anymore" checkbox :-)

Great video player otherwise, beats Quicktime hands down.

PS: is it normal that the video window's title doesn't update when the file being played has changed (like next entry on a playlist)? It's annoying because you never know if you're playing the next file or the same again when all files begin the same way (like most series and short programs).

dziglavs
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dziglavs » 02 Feb 2007 04:39

I also agree with alexharper,this is best video tool 4 mac,i have only lil problem with video streaming speed from dreambox.To disable error messages like this> "Please read the README.MacOSX.rtf file.
main: no suitable interface module
main: interface "rc,none" initialization failed".Change in preferences menu,advanced mode,then in intrface module choose be quiet.

ola,
Dziglavs

alexharper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alexharper » 04 Feb 2007 13:23

Activated quiet mode. Still get quite a lot of errors, seek too far etc.

asdufisn

Re: How to disable error messages

Postby asdufisn » 31 Jul 2007 23:24

I also strongly agree with alexharper -- this is a needed feature. Setting quiet mode doesn't help. Any idea when a feature to disable ALL non-critical messages

(or, when I come to think of it, TRULY ALL messages -- I can't think of a situation where I'd need an error message in VLC at all. If it's criticical VLC would probably crash and then I'll know that something is wrong. I bet many are like me in this regard. So if a feature that shows only some but not all error messages is more complicated to code then please give us a temporary feature to disable ALL error messages if that's quicker to code)

kshar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kshar » 05 Sep 2007 06:51

Please add a feature to disable non-critical error messages. VLC is a great player but having to get up and close an error message every time I watch something makes this program essentially useless.

Thanks!

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 09 Sep 2007 13:33

seems like no macosx developer heard you, you might want to write to vlc-devel mailing list about that since it seems to be mac specific

sorisos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sorisos » 13 Sep 2007 02:49

my error messages dissapered after I re-installed the 0.8.6c-version and runned the Delete_Preferences.app (included in the .dmg-file). I guess just to delete all preferences, would do...

Die Beamte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Die Beamte » 12 Jun 2009 21:12

Check out this Solution for the vlc error message problem with an AutoHotkey-Skript.

Ambrose
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby Ambrose » 30 Jul 2009 08:31

The above mentioned Auto Hotkey method for turning off VLC's pop-up error messages is Windows specific. For those of us who are running OS X -- quite likely, inasmuch as this is the OS X troubleshooting area -- there's a platform-appropriate workaround. It's inelegant and unworthy of respect, but the developers seem to be having trouble reproducing the situation whereby the proper way of turning off pop-ups doesn't work for everyone.

In Terminal.app, type (or copy-and-paste from here):

Code: Select all

mv /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InteractionErrorPanel.nib/keyedobjects.nib keyedobjects-original.nib
This changes the name of the file which VLC references in order to display the error window. Since the application can't find the file keyedobjects.nib, and since it will ignore the file called keyedobjects-original.nib, the necessary data will be unavailable. The pop-up error window will not appear.

The Messages window is unaffected by this change, so if you want to see VLC's real-time log, it can still be invoked from the Window tab of the menu bar (or by typing shift-command-m).

To revert to the application's original state, reverse the name change:

mv /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InteractionErrorPanel.nib/keyedobjects-original.nib keyedobjects.nib
Note that these commands assume VLC is in your Applications directory and also that it is not nested in a sub-directory inside of Applications. Change as needed. Note also that there are other means to the same end besides my method of renaming the file. Archiving it or moving it would work just as well.

dburr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dburr » 26 Sep 2013 11:43

FYI, for the benefit of those finding this thread through Google (as I did), this problem still exists as of VLC 2.0.8, and the above fix still works, except the name of the file has changed. It is now

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib
To get rid of the error panel just run

mv /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib.save
and to revert/undo this (bring the error panel back) run

mv /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib.save /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib
(again, assuming that you have installed VLC in the default location (the Applications folder) - if you have put it somewhere else, put that folder instead of /Applications)

Ridha
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ridha » 10 Dec 2013 19:22

Sometimes notification popups could be very anoyed takeing away your attention so here are steps how to turn it off.

1) Go to Tools > Preferences

2) Under section "Show settings", on the left lower corner, select "All" radio button

3) Go to Interface > Main interfaces > Qt

4) Uncheck "Show notification popup on track change"

5) Click "Save"

After settings are saved you should restart VLC player and popup notification with song name displayed is gone.

Jekahog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jekahog » 20 Jan 2014 20:47

FYI, for the benefit of those finding this thread through Google (as I did), this problem still exists as of VLC 2.0.8, and the above fix still works, except the name of the file has changed. It is now

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib
To get rid of the error panel just run

mv /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib.save
and to revert/undo this (bring the error panel back) run

mv /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib.save /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ErrorPanel.nib
(again, assuming that you have installed VLC in the default location (the Applications folder) - if you have put it somewhere else, put that folder instead of /Applications)

Thank You soooooo much!
Finally got rid of those stupidly annoying warnings! Now I can focus on the main screen instead of Pop ups. :D :lol:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Feb 2014 11:11

There is a good reason why errors are shown, to be honest...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

renanyoy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby renanyoy » 22 Mar 2015 05:13

using a popup for anything is always a misconception in a software...

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 22 Mar 2015 10:40

Its not used for anything. Its used for _serious_ errors only, where the user should know about.

virg
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.7.1
Operating System: MAC OS 10.12.6

Postby virg » 04 Jul 2019 19:09

Hi

I have this problem also. Using MAC OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). Error messages pop up at the end of every video I play on my MAC. The Error message is not serious but more just annoying and on MAC we don't have QT option in VLC preferences to stop these.

For some reason I cant turn off auto play of next video (random) which I used to have turned off and so every time a video stops, autoplay starts and this error message pops up. It really is a useless message to me as I have already watched the video file the error message refers to and deleted it off my computer.

So I would really like the error pop up to stop. Or I guess know how to turn off autoplay as I cant find this in advanced preferences.

This is the error message I refer to:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///Users/Virginia/Documents/Vuze%20Downloads/The%20Twilight%20Zone%201985%20Season%201/The.Twilight.Zone.1985.S01E14c.The.Misfortune.Cookie.mp4'. Check the log for details.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”